Monday, September 21, 2009

Think of the Benefits

A barely-audible whisper, designed to be interpreted as coming from my dream, crept into my consciousness as I lay on the couch on Saturday afternoon, hoping for a ten-minute nap. Ten minutes was clearly too much to expect.

"Mom, can we watch a movie?"

"No." I kept my eyes closed, mumbled my response, willed the voice to go away.

"Mom, Mom, listen. It's the perfect situation for you. We'll stay out of your hair for two whole hours!"

"No."

"Mom! Think of the benefits! You'll be able to get rid of your headache, finish your nap, we'll be rested after the movie, we'll practice our piano - DOUBLE - and read - DOUBLE - and do any extra chores you want. And you'll be able to do all the Mom stuff you want to like washing the dishes!"

I was now fully awake. "You actually think I want to wash the dishes? NO!"

The little dude just didn't get it. And he definitely didn't get his movie. There are benefits to truly understanding your mother's preferred perfect situation. For example, had he let me sleep and done the dishes for me, he would have had a shot. Maybe.

2 comments:

Tami said...

That is too funny. The things are kids think that we enjoy. I wish I enjoyed doing the dishes and the laundry...

Olsens R Us said...

Emily asked me the other day "Why do you like to clean all the time?" Yup, I am definitely sending the wrong message to my children....